Multiple timezone support?

I see in another post that when the Stor2rrd server and the storage are in different timezones it will cause gaps in the data. I indeed have that problem and just changed the timezone on the server to see if the data remains constant over the next couple days.

Is there any plan to support multiple timezones? The actual timezone of the storage device or possibly just the hour shift from the server timezone could be specified in the config file.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi,

sorry for delay.
    Can you try this change in bin/svcperf.pl line 198:

# Initialize Last uploaded data to curent time
    $time_last = &Localtime_str;
    #$time_last = "150629_134600"; # (\d{6}_\d{6}) # SVC svqueryclock

change to:
    # Initialize Last uploaded data to curent time
    #$time_last = &Localtime_str;
    $time_last = "150629_134600"; # (\d{6}_\d{6}) # SVC svqueryclock

Check it out next day.
  • I made a backup of the bin/svcperf.pl, then changed the original as you suggested. I'll let you know if I get any gaps in the next couple days.

Assuming this fixes the issue, will I need to make a similar change to the .pl for any other storage devices or SAN switch collections?

Thank You.
  • This is fix only for SVC, the other devices should not suffer by this issue.
  • Sorry for the delay. The gaps each day are gone, so the fix has worked. That said, I now have another challenge. I'm collecting from an SVC and DS8700 in Pacific time from a STOR2RRD server in Central time. This makes the traces gathered from each lag.

Example:
    • It's 11:50 AM as I was writing this post.
    • The traces from the SVC lag behind by 2 hours and end at 9:50 as I would expect because it's using the local time of the SVC.
    • The traces from the DS8700 end at 11:50 AM because there is no indication of the timezone from that device.
    Question: Is there a way to tell STOR2RRD that the DS8700 is in Pacific time? What about any other device? Is there a way on a per device basis to specify what timezone it is in, or at least provide an time offset for the data being gathered?

Thanks
  • Thanks for confirmation that gaps disapeared.
    Actually is not possible (mean implemented) to set TZ for every storage to get sync time from storages in different TZ.
  • Hi,

I have the same problem on SVC (Storwize) and HDS VSP-G but most arrays are in different time zones. Is an option to set or read the arrays timezone on the roadmap and if it isn't can I request it please?
    I don't have gaps in the data but the graphs are displayed in the tz of the array so the dashboard looks off.

Thanks,

Peter
  • you can install 2 stor2rrd instances and use different local time (TZ environment) for each.
    Running of 2 instances on 1 host must be technically done through virtual host in Apache. Then 2 instances in different places.
    Place on the second one thins into <stor2rrd home 2nd>/etc/.magic
    echo "export TZ=your_one" > stor2rrd_home_2nd/etc/.magic

It should work.
    No other solution I have.

• That wouldn't work for me because I would need at least 5 instances so I guess I'll have to live with the current situation. It's really just cosmetic so it's not a big problem.

Thanks
  • hmm, sorry no other solution I know or even see