Monitoring cloned vcenter servers with identical InstanceUuid

Dear all,

while adding a vcenter server I observed that it breaks the GUI. After investigation I found out that the data gets written to the same folder under data/vmware_<UUID>.

It turns out that these vcenters were cloned and thus have the same instance UUID. This gets pulled in vmw2rrd.pl line 460:
$vmware_uuid      = $service_instance->content->about->instanceUuid;
and is used to identify each vcenter. Is there a possibility to add the Alias to the string so that it gets unique?

Thanks in advance!
Sascha

Comments

• Hi,

ok, this is a problem, we rely on UUID but it appears to be same in this case.
    service_instance->content->about->instanceUuid
     This is set by creation of vCenter and cannot be changed

What we can do is using vCenter Unique ID which should be after cloning changed
    Administration > vCenter Server Settings > Runtime Settings> Unique ID
    This is responsibility of administrator to change it.
    See https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.3/horizon-administration/GUID-36666F57-FADA-495B-A961-F4FDC7E2F9EE.html

When it is changed then, you can use below solutuion we have just implemented where we use both "instanceUuid_Unique.ID" to identify vCenter (it will be included in next version 5.10)

As a hot fix you can download below file.

If you have already done this befor patch was appied (actual status :) ) then you have mixed data of both vCenters in directory "data/vmware_instanceUuid",
    to clean it us is necessary to delete this directory and restore from backup before you hav attached closed vCenter.

After restore 
    cd /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd
    tmp/5*
    ./load.sh

Gunzip it and copy to /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin (755, lpar2rrd owner)
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 lpar2rrd lpar2rrd 270057 Jun 29 10:51 bin/vmw2rrd.pl

If your web browser gunzips it automatically then just rename it: mv vmw2rrd.pl.gz vmw2rrd.pl
    Assure that file size is same as above listed one
  • Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the fast reply! This sounds like a good solution to me.

Can you please check the file? The download is from 2018-05-08 and does not include the fix.

Thanks!
    Sascha
  • Link is ok now, sorry.
  • Just tested, works like a charm. Thanks for your extremely fast help! Highly appreciated!