Volume Labels for VSP/XP arrays

Hi,

it seems like stor2rrd only extracts LDEV IDs from Hitachi VSP/ HPE XP arrays, but no LDEV labels. Therefore, it is impossible to identify a volume by name. Any plans to implement that? At least in the form of "00:00:00 [ldev_name]" similar to SAN switch ports.

Raidcom does show LDEV name under LDEV_NAMING field:

[lpar2rrd@sp-msk-xorux01 stor2rrd]$ raidcom get ldev -ldev_id 3336 -I1

Serial#  : xxxxx
LDEV : 3336
SL : 0
CL : 0
VOL_TYPE : OPEN-V-CVS
VOL_Capacity(BLK) : 7340033280
NUM_PORT : 2
PORTs : CL1-A-10 0 host_grp : CL2-A-9 0 host_grp
F_POOLID : NONE
VOL_ATTR : CVS : THP
B_POOLID : 1
LDEV_NAMING : HPHP-VMW_0
STS : NML (...blah, blah)

The output is the same for every Hitachi VSP/VSP G or HPE XP array I've checked.

Comments

• Hi,

we are not aware of that, even screenshots from Hitachi tools presented always numbers therefore we did the same (I am not sure how old screenshots we have, about 2 years I would guess, it might be something new in actuall releases)

You are the first one noting it after 2y+ we support VSP-G.
    We will have a look and definitelly will go for it.
    We will let you know once there is available fix.

• sorry, wrong info above from me.
    We knew about aliases but we did not use them as they do not have to be unique (we saw that at some storage)
    ok, we will do something like this now:
    00:00:00 (alias)

• Alex_Rogov
    edited May 2018
    All Hitachi GUI based tools I know of (even legacy ones, like Tuning Manager) have "LDEV Name" or "Label" column next to LDEV ID. I'm looking forward to seeing something similar in stor2rrd. It makes some features (like GUI display filtering) a lot more useful.
  • use this patch to get LDEV aliases into the GUI:

Download the patch file, untar it and install as the owner of STOR2RRD installation:
    Download link: http://download.stor2rrd.com/patch/stor2rrd-2.30-01.tar

su - lpar2rrd
    tar xvf stor2rrd-2.30-01.tar
    cd stor2rrd-2.30-01
    ./install.sh

wait 1 hour to get new cfg

cd /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd
    rm tmp/2.30*
    ./load.sh

refresh the GUI when it finishes (Ctrl-F5)

Let us known.

• Alex_Rogov
    edited May 2018

All done. Looks pretty good to me. But there's still one problem - labels are not displayed for some of the volumes. Looking into the configuration text file in stor2rrd I can see that these volumes belong to the "GAD_Unknown" disk pool with a pool ID of -1. Here's how it looks like:

volume_id,name,,,,,pool_id,,capacity (MB),,,,,,,,,,,,interface_type,raid_group_id
    00:03:00,,,,,,-1,,30720,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is how a proper record looks like:

00:0F:FF,00:0F:FF CMD_DEV_001,,,,,0,,100,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"raidcom get pool" command I run under the stor2rrd user lists no such pool on any of our storage systems. Can you look into it?

• Hi,

GAD_unknown is something we have to create on our own as GAD volumes do not have any pool assigment.
  • Alex_Rogov
    edited June 2018

Pavel, I can't agree with you here because:

1. Raidcom shows pool assignment for GAD volumes just fine (you can see it's a GAD volume by looking at the "HA" attribute in the VOL_ATTR field):

[lpar2rrd@sp-msk-xorux01 bin]$ raidcom get ldev -ldev_id 1795 -I6
    Serial#  : *******
    LDEV : 1795 VIR_LDEV : 1795
    SL : 0
    CL : 0
    VOL_TYPE : OPEN-V-CVS
    VOL_Capacity(BLK) : 2147483648
    NUM_PORT : 4
    PORTs : CL1-A-1 3 ora-ppx86-1-g : CL1-C-1 3 ora-ppx86-1-g : CL2-A-1 3 ora-ppx86-1-g : CL2-C-1 3 ora-ppx86-1-g
    F_POOLID : NONE
    VOL_ATTR : CVS : THP : HA
    B_POOLID : 0
    LDEV_NAMING : Gtest_db_004
    STS : NML

Below we can confirm that pool 0 actually exists (output from Hitachi VSP F1500):

[lpar2rrd@sp-msk-xorux01 bin]$ raidcom get pool -I6
    PID  POLS U(%) SSCNT Available(MB) Capacity(MB)     Seq# Num LDEV# H(%)   FMT_CAP(MB)
    000  POLN  13     56    137206986    158538828    *******  63  4128  98             -
    001  POLN   0      0     80525592     80525592    ******* 32  4224  98             -

2. Stor2rrd has dropped most of the LDEVs from our XP7 storage system (rebranded VSP G1000) into GAD_Unknown although the system has no GAD pairs and no GAD license.

3. Older HPE P9500 systems (rebranded Hitachi VSPs) have several LDEVs assigned into GAD_Unknown as well. GAD is not supported on these arrays.

• Hi,

please send us logs and IOSTATS for affected storage (Hitachi VSP F1500).

cd /home/stor2rrd/stor2rrd # or where is your STOR2RRD working dir
    tar cvhf logs.tar logs etc tmp/*txt data/<STORAGE_NAME>/IOSTATS/*
    gzip -9 logs.tar

Send us logs.tar.gz via https://upload.stor2rrd.com
    You might even attach screenshots when it helps in understanding of the issue.

Thank you.

• Uploaded. 'xorux4gpb' to unpack archive.

Labels are not displayed for LDEVs 00:08:00 to 00:08:09. I also don't see these LDEVs in data/OB-F1500-1092/IOSTATS/configuration/config-LDEV.txt, but I definitely get them if I type "raidcom get ldev -ldev_list mapped -I6". Does stor2rrd use a different command?

BTW, the possible reason that stor2rrd is unable to retrieve details for GAD volumes is not GAD itself, but a resource group which GAD requires to work properly. If a stor2rrd user on the array has no GAD resource group assignment, it is unable to retrieve any information about its member LDEVs via RAIDCOM. People typically put the stor2rrd user into "Storage Administrator (View Only)" bult-in group, but resource group assignment can not be changed for such groups. Therefore, a dedicated group for stor2rrd is preferable. It would have been nice to mention this in the stor2rrd documentation.

Another catch is parity group LDEVs. Stor2rrd puts them into GAD_Unknown as well - that's not correct. We can probably discuss that separately.

• we use this cmd which give us longer output (obviously more defined than mapped )
    raidcom get ldev -ldev_list defined

What command should we use?
    If stor2rrd has GAD resource group assignment, would we see everything.

we are a bit lost here.
    Another question is, how to created new user group with GAD rights.

• Thank you for the assistance in this case - volume labels are now properly displayed; pool configuration display is fine too.

The command is OK, but its output depends on the array user that executes it. If a Hitachi array is partitioned into resource groups (it is the case when GAD is enabled), the user must have access to all of them. The documentation you have at http://www.stor2rrd.com/hitachi-vsp-export_tool.htm is somewhat vague on that point.

To make sure a stor2rrd user can access all resource groups, create a custom User Group (Administration -> User Groups, Create User Group button). A Create User Group wizard will open.

On step 2, add Storage Administrator (Performance Management) to the list of assigned roles. Storage Administrator (View Only) is added by default.

On step 3, select all resource groups on the left and click the Add button to assign them to the user group. Click Finish.

Now create a stor2rrd user and assign it to the newly created resource group. Or change the user group assignment if the user already exists.

For your convenience, I can send the whole procedure with screenshots via e-mail.

• sending a few screenshots would be great, we will update docu.

Thanks!

use our support email pls.