Bugreport: Allow same cluster name in different vCenter servers

Dear all,

we have a number of vCenter servers which are all configured exactly the same. As a result we have multiple clusters with the same name in different vCenter servers.

The result is, that the VMs and hosts of these clusters are merged into each vCenter.

Workaround:
Everytime after load.sh has finished edit the following files for each affected cluster/host:
./vmware_13C43363-A00F-42D5-B156-CC1B6561D5CE/vmware_alias_name:cluster_CHANGEME|vcenter1
./host1/vcenter1/my_cluster_name:cluster_CHANGEME|vcenter1
./host2/vcenter1/my_cluster_name:cluster_CHANGEME|vcenter1
Rename file:
./vmware_13C43363-A00F-42D5-B156-CC1B6561D5CE/cluster_domain-c3/cluster_name_cluster_DUPLICATENAME
to
./vmware_13C43363-A00F-42D5-B156-CC1B6561D5CE/cluster_domain-c3/cluster_name_cluster_CHANGEME

then run "load.sh html" to build the menu.

Thanks!
Sascha

Comments

• Hi,

it is an issue when cluster names are not unique, we have not expected it when we designed it (note cluster names do not have internal UUID representation).
    Let us check your workaround, we will try to implement some solution ... we will let you know soon.
  • Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your fast reply. Looking forward to your solution.
  • http://www.lpar2rrd.com/download-static/vmw2rrd.pl.gz

Gunzip it and copy to /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin (755, lpar2rrd owner)
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 lpar2rrd lpar2rrd 262939 May  9 15:15 bin/vmw2rrd.pl

If your web browser gunzips it automatically then just rename it: mv vmw2rrd.pl.gz vmw2rrd.pl
    Assure that file size is same as above listed one

then:
    su - lpar2rrd
    cd /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd

echo "VMWARE_SAME_CLUSTER_NAMES=yes" >> etc/.magic
    echo "export VMWARE_SAME_CLUSTER_NAMES" >> etc/.magic

rm tmp/5.*
    ./load.sh

Ctrl-F5 in the GUI as soon as it finishes

• Hi Pavel,

great job. Works as expected!

Thank you very much for this fast fix!
  • I have a slightly different issue.   We have moved a cluster to a different vCenter.   lpar2rrd is not picking up the cluster on the new vCenter.