Alert.cfg format

Hello,

I have been tying to find some documentation on the format to use for the alert.cfg file in stor2rrd VM appliance. Has anybody setup alerting for stor2rrd without using Nagios?

Thank you,
Mike

Comments

• Hello,

alerting configuration is completely driven from the GUI.
    Follow menu --> Alerting configuration

Cheers,
    Pavel
  • Thank you, Pavel.

I have set up the email group and the alert parameters and the alert log is being populated with alerts but don't the scripts need to know where to forward the mail? I have been trying to find where you would set the mail server IP address.

Regards,
    Mike
  • Hi,

menu --> Alerting configuration --> tab "Email groups"
    Try it here: http://demo.stor2rrd.com/
  • Hello,

I did configure my email in the mail group and it is generating alerts but I do not see where it has attempted to send anything out. The mail que for the stor2rrd user is empty as well as root's mail que but the lpar2rrd user has entries only as recent as September of 2015.

I added root as a recipient of alerts so I would expect to see something in root's mail on the local server at least. Thank you.

Regards,
    Mike

• Hi,

any related entry in system mail log?
    Check where mail log is directed:
    egrep "^mail" /etc/syslog.conf
    mail.debug /var/log/mail rotate files 12 time 1m compress

Check output of ./load_alert.sh (it runs from crontab): 0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /home/lpar2rrd/dev/load_alert.sh > /home/lpar2rrd/dev/load_alert.out 2>&1

There should be noted "emailing" when an alerts is raised
  • Hi Pavel,

The sendmail daemon exits as soon as it it starts:
    nohup /usr/sbin/sendmail start&

Here is the output:
    sendmail: fatal: root(0): error reading input: Bad file descriptor

Here are the lastest entries in the /var/log/maillog:
    Apr 28 08:06:17 stor2casmon postfix/postqueue[322]: fatal: Cannot flush mail queue - mail system is down
    Apr 28 08:10:01 stor2casmon postfix/postqueue[971]: fatal: Cannot flush mail queue - mail system is down
    Apr 28 08:13:20 stor2casmon postfix/sendmail[1863]: fatal: root(0): error reading input: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 28 08:20:01 stor2casmon postfix/postqueue[3177]: fatal: Cannot flush mail queue - mail system is down
    Apr 28 08:26:00 stor2casmon postfix/sendmail[4809]: fatal: root(0): error reading input: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 28 08:30:02 stor2casmon postfix/postqueue[5575]: fatal: Cannot flush mail queue - mail system is down

I think the problem is lower down on the chain. I'll work on getting the sendmail system working first.

Thank you,
    Mike
  • Jirka
    edited June 2016
    VMware appliance has postfix installed - just enable and start it, it should work:
    # as root run these commands:
    systemctl enable postfix.service
    systemctl start postfix.service