san_rrdupdate.pl high cpu usage

Hello, for about a week or two I can see odd cpu usage. One process is consuming one whole cpu. I am not aware of any hanges on the environment.

[root@xxx ~]# ps up 3268329

USER     PID %CPU %MEM  VSZ  RSS TTY   STAT START  TIME COMMAND

stor2rrd 3268329 96.9 0.2 83332 40172 ?    R  11:50 65:03 /usr/bin/perl -w /home/stor2rrd/stor2rrd/bin/san_rrdupdate.pl

[root@xxx ~]# date

Tue Feb 28 12:57:23 CET 2023

[root@kwebs1 ~]#

As you can see there it is running for about an hour and using 100% of one cpu. Stor2rrd version 7.30. Any ideas how to troubleshhot it or fix it?

Comments

• what is your stor2rrd product version?

• sorry mised you noted the version.

definitelly start by upgrading to the latest stor2rrd level 7.60

Then kill all hanging processes like san_rrupdfate.pl, there might be even some rrdtool connected to them

• Hello, thank you for your reply. Unfortunatelly update is not possible, as we are using free version of stor2rrd to monitror about 16 disk arrays and 16 san switches. According to https://stor2rrd.com/note740.php "Free edition: it is restricted to monitoring 12 storage devices" and we are using free edition.

Could you please point specific bug that is patched in veriosn 7.40, 7.50 or 7.60 that can fix this issue? If there is in deed such a bug fixed I will forward this to my manager.

Or maybe I misinterpret 7.40 release notes. Can we still use free version to monitor ~16 storage arrays and `6 SAN devices?

• hi,

7.40 brings restrictuon to 12 storage devices and 12 SAN switches, you will be hit by that in case of upgrade.

We support free users only on the latest product version.