RRDTOOL and FREETYPE2 upgrade issues

We are running our LPAR2RRD server on an AIX instance and try to keep up with the latest package releases for the AIX Toolbox. While we have managed to get perl 1:5.30.3-2 to update and run, we have not had any luck with getting rrdtool beyond version 1.7.0.3 and freetype2 beyond version 2.8-1. I know there was a bug in rrdtool 1.7.0.4, but I have tried all combinations of releases including 1.7.0.8 and cannot get rrdtool to load properly. The new version of freetype2 errors out no matter what version of rrdtool is running.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and/or has any insight into why these newer packages don't seem to work with LPAR2RRD.

Thanks,

Keith Barth

Comments

• Hi Keith,

we have tested max Perl 5.28-1 on our AIXes in labs. It works with rrdtool 1.7.x.
    I try to upgrade it on the latest levels and will let you know later on this week.

• Thanks Pavel. I have tried rrdtool 1.7.0.5, 1.7.0.6, and 1.7.0.8. I will look forward to what you find out. I have a suspicion that it might be an issue with 32 vs. 64 bit libraries.
  • do you get any error?

32 vr 64 bit problems we already seen many times, got solutions ...
  • Just this in the error.log when I execute the load.sh:

Could not load program /opt/freeware/bin/rrdtool:
    Symbol resolution failed for /opt/freeware/lib/librrd.a[librrd.so.8] because:
            Symbol _GLOBAL__AIXI_libpng16_so (number 7) is not exported from dependent
              module /opt/freeware/lib/libpng.a[libpng16.so.16].
            Symbol _GLOBAL__AIXD_libpng16_so (number 8) is not exported from dependent

Then the load spins off a large number of daemon.pl processes and eventually consumes all the CPU cycles and hangs.

• Hi,

ok, seen that many times, it is about order in PERL5LIB, try this, I am not sure if these 5.30.3-2 directory exist exactly, adjust them if necessary

PERL5LIB=/home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin:/home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/vmware-lib:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/5.8.8:/usr/opt/perl5/lib64/5.30.3-2:/usr/opt/perl5/lib64/site_perl/5.30.3-2:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/5.30.3-2:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.30.3-2/ppc-aix-thread-multi:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.0/ppc-aix-thread-multi:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.16.0:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/5.8.8:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.8:/home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/lib

PERL=/opt/freeware/bin/perl

• Thanks, Pavel. I will try it. I also posted this problem to the AIX Open Source Forum and they suggested that we needed a newer version of libpng. I installed the latest version from the AIX Toolbox (libpng-1.6.27-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm) and upgraded to rrdtool 1.7.0.7. 

When I ran the load.sh, it generated multiple instances of the following errors:

ERROR : ERROR: rrd->ds_def malloc at /var/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin/LoadDataModule.pm line 646. :
    ERROR : ERROR: rrd->ds_def malloc at /var/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin/LoadDataModule.pm line 2079. :

Fri Sep 24 09:40:57 2021: ERROR: rrd->ds_def malloc at /var/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin/LoadDataModule.pm line 646. :
    Use of uninitialized value $RRDp::error_mode in string eq at /opt/freeware/lib/perl5/5.30/vendor_perl/RRDp.pm line 168.
    Fri Sep 24 09:40:57 2021: ERROR: rrd->ds_def malloc at /var/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin/LoadDataModule.pm line 646. :
    Use of uninitialized value $RRDp::error_mode in string eq at /opt/freeware/lib/perl5/5.30/vendor_perl/RRDp.pm line 168.

In the user interface I got the following message:

ERROR: rrd->ds_def malloc at /var/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin/detail-cgi.pl line 8242

I backed all the changes out and I have it running with the original packages (libpng 1.6.9-1 and rrdtool 1.7.0.3) 

I will work with the PERL5LIB order and let you know how it works out.
  • Ok, I checked each entry in the PERL5LIB paths you sent. Here is what I came up with for directories I found:

PERL5LIB=/var/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin:/var/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/vmware-lib:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/5.30:/usr/opt/perl5/lib64/5.28.1:/usr/opt/perl5/lib64/site_perl/5.28.1:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/5.30:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.28.1/ppc-aix-thread-multi:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.28.0/ppc-aix-thread-multi:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.22.0:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/5.30:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.8:/var/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/lib

Note: Our LPAR2RRD home directory is /var/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd

If this looks like a workable set of paths, let me know and I will put it in place and upgrade rrdtool to a newer level to see what happens.
  • BTW use 32bit rrdtool in case you have already some old data created by iolder version
    PERL: /opt/freeware/bin/perl_32
    RRDTOOL=/opt/freeware/bin/rrdtool_32

Malloc error above is typical for situation when you have 32bit database filess accessed by 64 bit rrdtool.

• Pavel,

Ok, I we are making progress. In order to get around the

Symbol resolution failed for /opt/freeware/lib/librrd.a[librrd.so.8] because:
            Symbol _GLOBAL__AIXI_libpng16_so (number 7) is not exported from dependent
            Symbol _GLOBAL__AIXD_libpng16_so (number 8) is not exported from dependent

I updated the libpng to the latest version 1.6.27-3 from the IBM AIX Toolbox. I then installed the latest version of rrdtool and freetype2. When I ran the load, I did not see any errors and the UI looked like it loaded normally. Unfortunately the only tab that is updating is the CPU tab. Memory and all of the agent generated tabs are not updating when the load.sh is run. Any thoughts, I will send you screenshots and the logs at support@lpar2rrd.com for analysis.
  • Here is the log files for you to analyze. I can't get them to email to you and the upload site is blocked per security protocols.