Power Lpar suddenly missing in gui - but only vios visable

after short time - with actuall release 7.80-1 - lpars on one managed power system are in state "removed"

what can be done to switch the lpars to the next level / monitored / like the vios server from the same system.

connectivity tests are okay - vios from same managed system are displayed online

tests from gui are okay

no disk full situation on lpar2rrd server

all other power + i managed systems are working okay with there Lpars display

Comments

• problem was an error rest api call against the managment system. one lpar get an error in the gui. after fixing this, the lpars reappeared on the right place in lpar2rrd gui

• what was the problem and fix exactly? Thanks.

• problem was an error rest api call against the managment system. one lpar get an error in the gui. after fixing this, the lpars reappeared on the right place in lpar2rrd gui

one lpar rises a xml error in the hmc gui - an lpar only for testing connectivity - with no disks assigned - i call it sms-only lpar - it only has one networkinterface defined - was in deactivated status. i will check hmc logs if i can gather more about the error. After deleting the lpar. the rest api call works again for the managment system.

• Interesting I face the same error - since November 20th one p9 Server just shows the two vios server - all other machines went into removed state and there is no data collection.

In /opt/lpar2rrd/data/P03_xxx-yyy/hmc01 - the file lpars.col shows the correct LPARs

first I found out that there was a problem with running perfprovider subsystem on one vio - but after fixing (stopsrc -s perfprovider / startsrc -s perfprovider) the data for the affected vios appeared again.

Tried it with reboot of the hmc - no change - started load.sh and load_hmc_rest_api.sh - unfortunately problem still exists.

There were no changes in the HMC like above - lpars are static since March.

Any ideas?

• are you at the latest lpar2rrd version? Actually 7.80-1, if not, uprade and let us know

• Hi Pavel, running LPAR2RRD version7.80 - will upgrade to LPAR2RRD version7.80-1

had such an issue a couple of weeks ago where we had to remove lpar descriptions:

chsyscfg -r sys -m MM-SYSTEM -i description=""

and same for LPARs

chsyscfg -r lpar -m MM-SYSTEM -i lpar_id=33,description=""

tried this - but actually still systems in removed state.

Will download 7.80-1 - and try again.

Regards Stefan

• Hi Pavel,

updated to 7.80-1 and removed "Descriptions on all Machines" - now the performance data appear (LPARs still in removed state, but delivering data)

Regards

Stefan

• Final comment - removed lpars back in normal LPAR menu:

./load.sh html fixed it ..

Stefan

• what do you mean by : removed "Descriptions on all Machines"

what was the fix exactly?

• Descriptions for the lpars in the hmc:

I got this hint by IBM a couple of weeks ago when there were auth errors with restapi. Only happened to me with HMC Version 10 R2 1041.

I removed the LPAR descriptions via:

chsyscfg -r lpar -m MM-SYSTEM -i lpar_id=33,description=""

After removing all descriptions fields on the p-Server with the "removed" issue and load.sh / load.sh html. Everything turned back to normal.

Furthermore I updated lpar2rrd from 7.80 to 7.80-1

Once sent you a mail on 8th of September 2023 :-)

Regards Stefan (will re-send the mail to your address again)

• weird, looks like a bug in the HMC REST API, we were not aware of that