Stor2rrd 2.70 and Mapping

So 2.70 came out with the mapping feature (immediately had to have it ) so I upgraded.  

Hit up the mapping and initially I get an error about not having imagemagic and a perl package.  Add the perl package and now I get the buttons for how I want it (Top down/Side -Left to Right) and such BUT clicking on the buttons and no feedback other then this:

Haven't been found any SAN connections for this storage

NOT

So not sure where to start looking but a hint would be nice. 

Matthew

Comments

• Hi,

pls a screenshot.
    Do you monitor even SAN?
    Is that happen for all storages?

send it to : support at stor2rrd dot com
  • Email sent.  This is not pervasive across all the storage that I have but the first 4 seem to be ok for it then the rest don't present.  SAN is monitored and responds/graphs appropriately. 
  • Per the email I sent, I am wondering if it is stopping with the 1st storage that I can't map the SAN ports for.  There are a few storwize that I do not monitor the SAN switches for and those are the ones that I think it is hung up on. 

Matthew
  • Just an additional question. Wat is the "Want" Module? Its from the gui

Can't locate Want.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Want module) (@INC contains: ../bin /home/stor2rrd/stor2rrd/bin /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_
  • Looks like you may need to do a:
    yum install perl-Want

to get that module;
    [root@~]# locate *.pm|grep Want
    /usr/lib64/perl5/Want.pm
    [root@~]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib64/perl5/Want.pm
    perl-Want-0.18-4.el6.x86_64

I would start with that. 

• Hmm. Thx. Will try that on Tuesday.
    Im on Suse and a zypper search dosent find anything with "Want".
  • Hmmm. Did not work. 

system:~ # rpm -qa| grep Want

system:~ # zypper in perl
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'perl' is already installed.
    No update candidate for 'perl-5.18.2-12.14.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
    Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.

• Hi,

OK. As is said in the mail. Its not possible to install some external modules (by some internal rules). Additional i have no glue whcih to take for SLES 12....and i like my job :D
    Dosent matter, we have to live without that.

Thanks
  • I have installed all the relevant packages, not getting any errors in any logs that I can see but all I get is this. I monitoring both Storage devices and the SAN switches.

• Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is for Cisco MDS switches and using SNMP so it should meet the requirements for this to work.
  • Hi @point7,

it should work, VSPG devices and Cisco MDS switches are supported for this feature.

1. download this file:

https://download.stor2rrd.com/patch/show_mapping.pl.gz
    Gunzip it and copy to /home/stor2rrd/stor2rrd/bin (755, stor2rrd owner)
    -rw-r--r-- 1 stor2rrd stor2rrd 4058 Feb 21 13:04 show_mapping.pl
    If your web browser gunzips it automatically then just rename it: mv show_mapping.pl.gz 
    show_mapping.pl

2. generate tmp/show_mapping.txt

cd /home/stor2rrd/stor2rrd # or where is your STOR2RRD working dir
    . etc/stor2rrd.cfg ; $PERL bin/show_mapping.pl >tmp/show_mapping.txt 2>&1
    3. Send us logs pls

Note a short problem description in the text field of the upload form.

cd /home/stor2rrd/stor2rrd # or where is your STOR2RRD working dir
    tar cvhf logs.tar logs tmp/*txt
    gzip -9 logs.tar

Send us logs.tar.gz via https://upload.stor2rrd.com
  • Instructions followed, upload complete.
  • after dealing with support this is corrected.  Hopefully overall they will issue a point release to sort this for everyone.   Thanks to the team for the fix. 
  • Hi,

MLavigne's issue was related only to IBM DS5k devices.
    So if someone will have the same issue (SAN topology does not work for IBM DS5k devices) then let us know and we will provide you a fix.
  • I got it. 
    Which of your demo shown how that shoudl look?

We have CMCNE/BNA as SAN Source and some HDS G**** Systemes. 
    I see only "Haven't been found any SAN connections for this storage"

regards
  • BNA as a data is not supporter so far for SAN topology visualisation
  • Hi @Hexxer ,

unfortunately SAN BNA is not supported yet. We cannot find information about ports and their host WWN to which they are connected.
  • Hi @Hexxer,

however we have found that since BNA version 14.0.1 there should be available information we need for this feature.
    So we will have a look into that ASAP and if this will be useful then we will add support for the BNA.
    We will try to add support BNA in the newer version 2.71 which should be released on March 12th.
  • Ahhh. OK, thats OK.
    In my environment it is the best way through BNA. With direct access i get CPU load in the switch arround 50-70% (depends on the model).
    In your Demo? Is there an example? I click trough 5 oder 6 and did not find any ;)

regards

• no, it is not on our demo as it does not contain all data required for that (it is based on older switch data), you can see it only here: https://www.stor2rrd.com/mapping.php

• Thanks. Havent find that page bevor. Fair Deal. Thanks !!!
  • @Pavel @Karel I think I have found the root of the issue I am experiencing.

I noticed after a few initial runs that some port mappings were showing for the topology. When I traced these ports I discovered that I had not labelled (or mis-lablled the wrong port) those ports in alias.cfg.

When I labelled them correctly in alias.cfg, after the next run, I now had no port mapping in the topology.

This morning I removed every single alias.cfg definition for Storage -> SAN Port mapping.

After running load.sh and load.sh html, once all the alias.cfg mappings had cleared, all the port mapping in the toplogy are appearing.

Is there any way to have both topology and alias.cfg mapping work together.
  • Hi, I installed the new build 2.7.1. Does the SAN topology support working with BNA?
  • Hi,

yes, it is supported since that version.
  • Hi @Pavel, a few hours after installation the SAN topology started working. But I still have issues in the log:
    Mon Mar 23 13:05:04 2020: file does not exists : /var/lib/stor2rrd/data/fcr_xd_101_1-BNA/PORTS.cfg /var/lib/stor2rrd/bin/san.pl:922 
    Mon Mar 23 13:05:04 2020: file does not exists : /var/lib/stor2rrd/data/fcr_fd_98-BNA/PORTS.cfg /var/lib/stor2rrd/bin/san.pl:922 
    What that mean?

• Hi,

it looks like your BNA does not provide statistics for these 2 SAN switches.

cd /var/lib/stor2rrd
    tail logs/error.log-<BNA IP>

Do you see there error messages like this?

Fri Oct  5 10:50:11 2018: ERROR : SWITCH : fcr_fd_98-BNA : Can't create PORTS.cfg and HEALTH_STATUS.txt! Ports not found!/home/stor2rrd/stor2rrd/bin/bnaperf.pl:499 :

If so, then it is that case, BNA does not provide statistics for some switches.
    We have already seen it a few times.
    This what helped :

1. BNA restart
    2. re-creation of stor2rrd user in BNA and re-discovering switches

Go for 1 option and wait an hour.
    If no joy then try 2.
  • Hi,
    I restarted BNA and recreated stor2rrd user and keep having messages like this:

Wed Mar 25 12:10:08 2020: ERROR : SWITCH : fcr_xd_101_1-BNA : Can't create PORTS.cfg and HEALTH_STATUS.txt! Ports not found!/var/lib/stor2rrd/bin/bnaperf.pl:497 :
    Wed Mar 25 12:10:08 2020: ERROR : SWITCH : fcr_xd_102_1-BNA : Can't create PORTS.cfg and HEALTH_STATUS.txt! Ports not found!/var/lib/stor2rrd/bin/bnaperf.pl:497 :

and others like it.