Updated AIX filesets for LPAR2RRD

IBM has come out with several new updates for the filesets used by LPAR2RRD (i.e rrdtools, etc). Will the new release of LPAR2RRD support these new versions? We try to keep all our filesets and RPMs at the latest levels.

Comments

• Hi,

yes, we are aware of that. You can use the latest rrdtool packages available on IBM pages, only the issue are CSV exports which will not work.
    This will be fixed in the next release (5.10) or let us know we will provide you a fix.
  • I ran the update on the rrdtool and rrdtool-perl packages recently released by IBM (1.7.0-3) and it broke lpar2rrd. It appears that the information is being collected, but the charts will not load. It ties to load, but hangs. I reverted back to the current release that is provided (1.4.8-2) and the charts once again loaded instantly.
  • do you have a log with errors?
    I would say it needed some PERL5LIB path enhancement only.
  • I noticed the following error in the CGI-BIN log at the time when I did the install of the new rrdtools filesets: 

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/bin/detail-cgi.pl line 4.
  • Send us logs and notice time when you used new rrdtool

cd /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd  # or where is your LPAR2RRD working dir
    tar cvhf logs.tar logs etc tmp/*txt 
    gzip -9 logs.tar

Send us logs.tar.gz via https://upload.lpar2rrd.com 

• Our proxy is blocking my access to the upload site. Here is the file. I was working on the update of the rrdtools fileset between 8:00 and 9:30 am.
  • I noticed that the Perlz site has the 1.4.9-1 version of rrdtools listed. Would it be better to try to move from the current version of 1.4.8-2 to 1.4.9-1 instead of trying to jump to the IBM provided version 1.7.0-3? Or perhaps go to version 1.4.9-1 and then try to move to IBM's version 1.7.0-3?
  • RRDp.pm module has not been found.

1. have you installed rrdtool-perl?
    # rpm -qa| grep rdtool
    rrdtool-perl-1.7.0-3
    rrdtool-1.7.0-3

2. if so then PERL5LIB path must be adjusted to fin that perl module
    vi etc/lpar2rrd.cfg
    place at the start PERL5LIB=/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.22.0/ppc-aix-thread-multi: ....

Then it will work.

• Ok, just a point of clarification. I currently have:

rrdtool                    1.4.8-2    C     R    Round Robin Database Tool to
      rrdtool-perl               1.4.8-2    C     R    Perl RRDtool bindings

and the PERL5LIB variable is mapped as follows:

PERL5LIB=/usr/lib64/perl5/5.2.1:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/5.2.1:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.2.1:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.2.1:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.2.1:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.2.1:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.1.1:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.1.1:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.1.1:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.1.1:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.1.1:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.22.:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.22.:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.22.:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.22.:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.22.:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8:/home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/vmware-lib:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.8:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.0:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.2:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5:/usr/share/perl5:/usr/lib/perl5:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.8/aix-thread-multi:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/ppc-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl:/home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/lib

In this configuration everything works.

If I install 

rrdtool-perl-1.7.0-3
    rrdtool-1.7.0-3

and make no changes to the PERL5LIB path, the graphs do not refresh and hang. Do I need to install a newer version of Perl (beyond the 5.8.8 version) and then update the path information in the etc/lpar2rrd.cfg file? If not, what else would I have to do to the path to get it to work?
  • what lpar2rrd product version do you use now?
    2.30? Only this has support for rrdtool 1.7, especially on AIX is 2.30 must as there is some workaround for rrdtool 1.7.
    Without that workaround it will not work on AIX .
  • We are using Version 5.07 free

• opss, sorry my fault, I thought we are in our storage monitoring product thread.

send us logs, I tested rrdtool 1.7 and it works on AIX 7.2, with any lpar2rrd version

Note a short problem description in the text field of the upload form.

cd /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd  # or where is your LPAR2RRD working dir
    tar cvhf logs.tar logs etc tmp/*txt 
    gzip -9 logs.tar

Send us logs.tar.gz via https://upload.lpar2rrd.com

• I installed the rrdtool 1.7 and see the same hang and failure to load charts. Our proxy will not allow connection to your https upload site, so I am attaching the log file to this message.
  • wrong PERL5LIB lib path in lpar2rrd.cfg, use this:

PERL5LIB=/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.22.0/ppc-aix-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/5.2.1:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/5.2.1:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.2.1:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.2.1:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.2.1:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.2.1:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.1.1:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.1.1:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.1.1:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.1.1:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.1.1:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.22.:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.22.:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.22.:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.22.:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.22.:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8:/home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/vmware-lib:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.8:/opt/freeware/lib/perl/5.8.0:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.2:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5:/usr/share/perl5:/usr/lib/perl5:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.8/aix-thread-multi:/opt/freeware/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/ppc-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl:/home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/lib

• Thank you for providing the correct path. I have implemented it on our test server and it is working well. Looking to upgrade the rrdtool packages on our main LPAR2RRD server and making the same changes to the PERL5LIB variable there.