Difference between CPU usage and CPU utilization ?

Hello,

could you pls clarifty the difference between "CPU usage" and "CPU utilization" metrics for IBM Power Systems ?

Regards,

Nenad

Comments

• Hi,

ok, you testing Xormon NG where it is used, but not documented yet.

Shortly:

CPU usage: CPU allocation to a partition (it is how HMC/server sees it)

CPU utilization: real CPU usage by processes, it is always lower (it is how the OS sees it), the OS unused asigned CPU utlize by CPU idle cycles

In fact: CPU usage = CPU utilisation + CPU idle cycles

There are 2 views for using of CPU, both are important

Is that clear enough?

• btw upgrade to the latest version if you want to test it, pls let us us know any feedback if possible, thanks :)

https://xormon.comdownload-static/xormon-ng/xormon-ng-0.6.58.tar.gz

uprade is easy, do it via the UI --> settings --> upgrade

we are finishing it, bud there is still a lot of cosmetic issues to fix, finale release is schedulled in a few weeks.

• Hello Pavel,

are you sure it's not vice versa - i.e. CPU utilization are number of virtual CPUs allocated by partition (LPAR) and CPU usage is actual CPU usage of this CPUs - I'm comparing CPU utilization from current version of xormon and CPU usage from xormonNG and utilization is always higher.

Also could you provide another link for the latest xormonNG update - the one above doesn't work for me.

Regards,

Nenad

• sorry, there was missing a slash in the link: https://xormon.com/download-static/xormon-ng/xormon-ng-0.6.58.tar.gz

IBM Power LPAR/CPU pool: CPU utilization in lpar2rrd/xormon should be equal to CPU usage in Xormon NG

• Hello,

in our case CPU utilization in lpar2rrd is significantly higher than CPU usage in XormonNG. (pls check the pictures below). Also there is no data displayed/collected for CPU utilization in XormonNG (see the screenshot).

Regards

• CPU utilization: it might not be supported on old servers/HMCs, could that be the case? What is your env based on? what Power technology?

CPU usage: the biggest server in Xormon (51.69), which one it is in Xormon NG graph (color)?

• Hello,

we are running Power8,9 and 10 generations. Biggest server in xormon is Power 10 enterprise server ( 1080).

The reason I'm suggesting that CPU usage should be bellow CPU utilization is that "CPU usage" in xormonNG is comparable with "CPU usage" mectrics in Power HMC console

Regards,

Nenad

• if you compare the biggest server as per utilization (the one with 50 cores running)

what presents Xormon NG? X times less utilisation as I see the the biggest one running on 20 CPU cores in NG.

Is that the same server?

If so, there is 30 Core difference, can you confirm it?

• Hello Pavel,

here are screens from Xormon and XormonNG for the same biggest P10 server covering roughly same timeframe yesterday afternoon:

• send us via email ( support at lpar2rrd dot com ) these daily graphs from this server from both tools, Xormon and Xormon NG

• CPU pool graph
    • CPU Total
    • VM aggregated
    • what is CPU count in that server, 96 or 94?

Thanks!

• sent an email with screenshots ....