Error with DS8000

Hi All

First for all thanks for this great software.

I have an issue adding a DS8000 storage into the stor2rrd application.

I put the image here with the error.

I try to find any error in logs without success.

This stor2rrd works into a docker container with the dscli installed inside on it.

Thanks for your time.

Victor

Comments

• is there any volume defined?

If so, send us logs

Note a short problem description in the text field of the upload form.

cd /home/stor2rrd/stor2rrd # or where is your STOR2RRD working dir

tar cvhf logs.tar logs tmp/*txt

gzip -9 logs.tar

Send us logs.tar.gz via https://upload.stor2rrd.com

• Thanks.

I upload the logs files in the link that you provided.

In advance, this screenshot have the volumes defined in the DS8000.

This storage provides space capacity for Mainframes servers, the volumes are not traditional volumes.

Command deployed via command line into the docker container:

Thanks for your time

Victor

• how many of ckd volumes do you have there, like 5k+

this should count it roughly:

wc -l /home/stor2rrd/stor2rrd/tmp/IBK_LM2_DS8910F_.ds8perf.scr

DSCli is not able to get data from all volumes in reasonable time if volume count is in thousands, it could take hours for dscli to get all we need, but we need it every 5 minutes.

• Hi Pavel

As you can see, 10821 lines..

A little example of the content

What do you recomend to solve this situation?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Victor

• hmm, 10k+ volumes (typical CKD volumes usage, they are very small and very huge volume amount), DSCcli does not manage to get perf data in reasonable time, it takes hours to get it (10k volumes as per our experince could take about 5 hours), one run, but we need to get it in 15 mins max.

No way via DSCli.

We are developing right now other solution based on storage's SMI-S API, it would be able to cope with that.

It will be available at the end of Q3 2023 earliest, might be Q4.

Till that there is no way, sorry.

• generally up to 2-3k volumes it works, but no way above, DSCli is not designed for such monitoring we do

• for open systems it is normaly far enough such amount of volumes.

In case the storage serves open system volumes and CKD ones, we are able to suppress CKDs to make working at least open system volumes by some internal parameter

• Hi Pavel

Thats sound great !!

If you can say me now to suppress the CKD volumes and use stor2rrd to catch other performance info will be awsome.

Thanks for your time.

I will wait the new app release that use storage's SMI-S API.

Regards

Victor

• Hi,

if we supprtess CDK volumes and there is no others open ones then it will not work.

Pool data is based on volume data, so no pools, no volumes then, stor2rrd does not work without them, it expects there are volume and pool perf data.

• Hi Pavel

How are u.

Some time ago we talked about the limitations of the dscli client ussing for DS8000 storages systems with 10k+ volumes. We decided to remove those storage devices from our stor2rrd container instance.

You talking about the SMI-S API for DS8000 storage will be available for 3Q 2023 or maybe 4Q, I saw into the documentarion that the Seagate Exos X use it, but the DS8000 documentation say nothing regarding the SMI-S API usage.

Have you any beta version DS8000 volume usage data collection, ussing smi-s api? We are strongly interested for test it.

Again, thanks for your time

Regards

Victor S

• Hi,

yep, SMI-S looks like to be a way how to make it working.

Unfortunatelly it is not ready yet, end of Q4 2023 earliest.