LPAR2RRD data migration

I have installed a new LPAR2RRD server because we are going to use a new AIX Release and wanted to split LPAR2RRD from other applications. Is there a way to migrate data to the new LPAR2RRD servers? I want to avoid losing data from recent months and years when we recycle the old LPAR2RRD server.

Comments

• Hi,

migration to the same architecture is easy (AIX to AIX)

1. install a new lpar2rrd
    2. configure lpar2rrd
    3. stop lpar2rrd daemon on the old instance if you use the OS agent
    4. copy over data directory (use tar, do not copy it like cp -R !)
    Absolute path of data dir should be same on both instances, if is different then remove symlink files in data dir (they will be recreated)
    5. ./load.sh on the new instance and you should see data after Ctrl-F5 in the GUI
    6. redirect OS agent to the new server in crontabs (or change DNS)

• Is there another way for data shipping? We initially ran both lpar2rrd servers in parallel and I would not override the existing data.
  • no, there no other way like data merge. You either keep data from the first or from the second instance.
  • ok. thank you. I will rethink our migration scenario.
  • Pavel, is there a way to migrate from AIX to RHEL?

Thank you.
  • Tried to migrate last week to the vmware based image from AIX. Since the diff in arch I used rrdtool to export to xml and then re-import.

Still got problem with HMC totals and half of the lpars graphs. Is there more rrd files than the one listed below?

export: 
    find ./ -name "*.rrd" -o -name "*.rrm" -o -name "*.rsm" -o -name "*.db" |while read FILE
    do
    rrdtool dump $FILE $FILE.xml
    done

Import:
    find ./ | grep .xml |while read FILE
    do
    NEW=${FILE::-4}
    rrdtool restore -f $FILE $NEW
    done

Thanks
  • find data -name \*\.\[x\|m\|r\]\?\?

• thx, Pavel. Works better.
  • please i need to migrate my data from AIX to Apliance on linux , what are the steps to make the migration, only the export and import?
  • Hi,

between platform migration is a bit complicated.
    all rrdtool files must be exported on AIX and imported on Linux.
    Be aware there are used hard links for OS agent data (*.mmm files) , then export/import just one copy.
    We have a script and a procedure for that which is provided only to our customers.